Saturday, April 7, 2012

BlueDUN+: MB Comand OnLine and Android phones


The bluetooth pairing between Android phones and the MB comand online allows the users to share phone contacts and perform telephone calls.  In addition to Navi(gation), Audio, Tel(ephone), Video and System menu-options, you can see another icon:  the web navigation.  
Selecting this menu option, the user can open a web browser and insert URL for web navigation, or access the Comand OnLine functions including weather forecast, facebook, point of interest and more... 



The comand online needs a bluetooth DUN (dial up network) service but Android phones don't support it natively (because it is an old technology), so you have to install an app to activate this service.


The BlueDUN app for Android enables the bluetooth DUN service on your phones; this short guide shows how it is possible to open the web access for MB Comand OnLine:

1. Remove the old pairing between the Navi and the phone
If you have not recently purchased your car, it is quite possible that you have already paired the phone with the Comand to make phone calls.  When you create the Bluetooth 
connection between two devices, each of them searches and stores all the services available on the other device, then when you try to open a web link you may get the message  "Connected phone does not support data communication".   



No problem, it is normal, you have just to return to the initial situation, like if the two devices had never met themselves.  In other words, you have to remove the pairing:   select the Tel menu option / Telephone item on the bottom sub-menu / Bluetooth telephones / scroll the phone list and select the phone to remove / click the white icon on the right / De-authorise option and finally confirm.






2. Open BlueDUN,  Start the DUN Service and create a new pairing

After removing the pairing you'll need to create a new connection between the phone and Comand: normally you should activate the bluetooth interface on your phone and make it discoverable by other devices.  The BlueDUN app automatically enables the bluetooth, but you must check the "Discoverable" option in the properties panel (click the menu/left hard-button to show it):




BlueDUN requires a valid internet connection to start, so, when you click the "Start Service" button, the first message you can see is "Testing Internet connection...".   The app emulates a modem features but it doesn't perform a true dial up call, when the device client requests information, BlueDUN forwards these messages to the wifi or mobile (HSDPA/EDGE/GPRS) data connection and it forwards back to the client all replies.


If the BlueDUN screen shows the status "Waiting Bt Client.."  you are ready to pair again the Comand and the phone following the same steps:   select the Tel menu option / Telephone item on the bottom sub-menu / Bluetooth telephones / search for discoverable devices.

3. Select a Provider and setup the connection parameters
Once the Comand has stored the phone BT services, including the DUN, you don't need to pair them again, but the first time you try to open a web link you will get this message:  "No provider selected or provider data is incorrect. Please check settings".      You need to assign a Provider for the web connection and you can choose one from provider list of your country.


Connection parameters (Phone number, access point, used ID and Password) are not important, so don't care about them.  The only parameter that has effect is the DNS address:  if you enter a wrong IP you may not be able to access the MB server, so it is better to leave them as automatic assigned.  In this case BlueDUN will use the Google's default primary DNS IP (8:8:8:8) and secondary DNS IP (8:8:4:4).




4. Access to Comand OnLine Apps or to a web page
Previous steps should be executed only the first time, in normal usage you can select the web navigation icon and open an URL or the Mercedes Benz Apps menu.


It is important to notice that Comand OnLine doesn't access directly to internet web pages but downloads them from the Mercedes Berz VPN server, this means that download speed is considerably slower respect to the phone browser because it depends on MB server congestion.



I suggest to use the phone connected to a Wi-fi network (such as the home or office wifi access point) when you use the Comand Online the first time for accessing the on-line services:   the navigator gets from the server many data for configuring the menu and the apps and the phone must have a stable connection otherwise you need to restart the process again if the connection drops.

Moreover, you have to remember to start the BlueDUN service on the phone before opening a www link, otherwise you will get the message "Function not possible at the moment".   For this reason, you may activate the "Auto-Start" (and "Auto-Resume") option on BlueDUN property panel;  in this manner the DUN service will be always on while the app is running.




If after several attempts, you can not connect, always getting the message "Connection failed" message, it means that bluetooth channel cannot be reused. 
Try closing the connection by clicking the disconnect icon at the bottom right on the Comand, turn off the bluetooth interface on the phone and finally restart the BlueDUN service.




In the preference panel you may also change the Bluetooth Channel:   the default is number 0 [auto-assigned], but if it seems that you cannot start the bluetooth DUN service, enter a value in the range 1-30.  Generally this has not effect for new version of Android because the DUN channel is always auto-assigned.

Another parameter very important for the connection success is the UDP packet delay;  this parameter represents the time delay between each packet sent to the UDP server.  Its default value is 50ms but you can increment it (for example set 100ms or 150ms) if the phone has connection issues.   [Deprecated on new versions]

If none of the previous actions has success, please enable the "UDP Compatibility" option in the property panel, this option increases the connetion timeout and reduces the download speed, but allows the Comand to connect online.  [Deprecated on new versions]

36 comments:

  1. When I click "Start Service", I get a Android dialog to allow an app to enable bluetooth visibility for 120 seconds. If I click Yes to agree, the button returns to "Start Service". I can shortly see the message "Testing Internet connection ...", but button returns to "Start Service" and nothing works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please read this post:

    http://bluedunapp.blogspot.it/2012/03/bluedun-issue-why-start-service-button.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure yet which shoes i'm stalking. Time to get a headstart on it!
    Android Tablet Apps

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello !

    Thanks a lot for this great app.
    I've just received my 2013 Mercedes E Class, which has the Comand Online navigation system.
    I've been trying to configure the Internet connection for two days, but it keeps failing.

    My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S III, I've installed the BluDUN application, set the timeout to 150 milliseconds, tried to set the channel to 1, 3, 11, 0 (automatic). Well, I've tried pretty much everything, but I can't seem to make it work.

    I've followed all the steps mentioned above, unsuccessfully :(
    The phone does connect to the Comand Online, and when I launch the Mercedes Apps on Comand Online, it connects to the phone, I can see the BluDUN receiving and sending data, and the car screen displays "connection in progress" (well, in French, because I'm french).
    After a few seconds (maybe 30 secs), I can see BluDUN returning to the "waiting for BT client" status, and after a few additional seconds, the car says "connection failed".

    I've entered the APN in the car, and as a phone number (seems to be mandatory), I've entered *99***1#. I've left the DNS on automatic. The user name and password are to be left blank, because my provider doen't require any. I've used my phone as a wifi hotspot several times with my MacBook and with my tablet, and it works just fine.

    Would you be so kind and help me ? I rrrrrreally want to get it work, because it's a brand new car and I'm so excited about those online features...

    Thanks a lot in advance ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I´ve tested this app with a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini and a MB online. It works great! Now I have a Sony Xperia T an it doesn´t work with my MB online are there any known issues for this combination? I´ve tried to pair the devices several times but I only get the message "connected phone bla bla". When I try to use BT-channel 0 (I´ve got jelly bean) the Service will not start on my phone... Which channel should I use?
    Please help me, otherwise I have to send the great xperia back and have to use the galaxy... what I don´t really want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    I have a Sony Xperia Z and just got BlueDUN installed on this device. i have been trying to connect my phone to MB comand Online thru BlueDUN following the steps mentioned below without any success. I would appreciate if you can advise a fix for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I got this app on my Sony xperia z, and I have been trying to connect thru it to 2012 C class command online following the steps mentioned above without any success. Whenever I try to connect to the internet thru comand online it gives an error message saying that my phone doesn't support this service. Please advice a fix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning,
    I have also an Xperia Z.
    I did follow above procedure but it then just waits for a BT connection whilst the connection is established between comand and the phone. It seems that on the Xperia the bluedun app does not detect that the BT connection is established. I paired several times, unauthorised the connection and then reestablished the connection but it does not help. The app does not see the BT connection.
    Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Samsung Galaxy S Plus not working navi Peiying PY-5005, help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought the Samsung S4 and guess what .. no internet connection in my (2012)Mercedes ML, before that it worked perfectly with my old Samsung Galaxy S1, I tried out about every possible setting but nothing helped till i discovered this BlueDUN App, and now it works like before with my old Phone, so thanks it saved me a trip to the service station and probably a big bill and frustration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat did you need to do anything settings wise to get it to work or did it just connect first time... im having trouble with my s4

      Delete
  11. I have a s4. All mentioned above didn't work for me. What set up did u use pat?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ciao I'm trying to use Blue Dun with a Samsung S4 and when I launch BlueDun I receive the following error message in italian:"Profile BT-Dun just registered, the current firmware is not compatible!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ciao, I'm trying to use with a Samsung S4, but when it star I receive the following message (in Italian):
    The profile of Bt-Dun is just registered, the current firmware is not compatible!
    Thanks, for The Help
    Matteo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, we just took delivery of a Mercedes ML 350 with Comand On Line; needless to say we could not get on-line via our Android phones (extremely disappointed). We have tried the BlueVPN 2.5, with an HTC One X, without success - still get the 'Connected phone does not support data communication' error message.

    Does anyone have any answers?

    Thanks, Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Does this work for the Samdung Galaxy S4?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi
    I have a Mercedes ML 2013 model
    I get hooked up to my comand Galaxy s4. but when the phone is connected to Comand online does not work the usual hands-free service on the system.
    it means that I can not receive incoming calls on your car's system.
    This is how to I I turn off the blue down and start the car again.
    anyone know what needs to be done?

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got this working fine. The web browser works and I am able to open any website. When I try to open the Mercedes Benz Apps. It tells me "Mercedes Benz Apps currently unavailable"
    Has anyone faced this issue?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have the same problem!!
      Plese tell me how can I fix this?

      Delete
    2. I have the same problem, contacting MB and they seem to be of little help

      Delete
  18. I have problem with Modecom MX2 navigation and Samsung Galaxy S3 phone.
    I'm starting BlueDUN, pairing with navigation, starting DUN connection, and everything goes well - coinnection works fine. But after i finish bluetooth connection, and start it again, it can't establish DUN connection.
    I have to remove bluetooth pairing, and pair devices again, to make DUN connection work again.
    is there a solution for that problem?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Been trying to get this working for a while using the instructions above with no success, just constant connection failed messages. Finally got it working by using the following DST instead of automatic. DNS1: 8.8.8.8 DNS2: 8.8.4.4. This was on Vodafone UK with Galaxy Note 2.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great app works on my Samsung s4 with mb online. Using full version of the app

    ReplyDelete
  21. Been trying to get this to work with a Galaxy W (Android 2.3.5) with no success. Command does not recognize the phone in the Internet setting. What version of Android firmware is necessary to make this ork?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a 2013 CLS and a Samsung Galaxy S4, took a little playing around but got connected and all works fine. I am on the 3 network.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Went through all the steps thoroughly. But all I get at the end is "cannot connect to device". Re - paired several times. Changed channels. What now?

    ReplyDelete
  24. phone lookup service
    I’m trampled by your contents carry on the wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I followed instr for my Galaxy S3 mini and 2013 MB CClass.
    All went well until I choose provider which always comes back with 'failed to connect'. Any ideas please?

    ReplyDelete
  26. How to set the UDP packet delay, I have a note2, galaxy s5 and blackberry q10, I cant find this option In any of those devices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UDP packet delay was used in old versions of BlueDUN, please upgrade the app to the last version

      Delete
  27. This worked fine with my previous C class and my Samsung S4 running Android 4.
    I just received a new C class with Comand Online and very recently upgraded my phone to Android 5. Now it doesn't work anymore.
    A connection is established. But after about 28 secs it disconnects again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you upgrade the Android version generally you have to remove the pairing with the Comand Online and to create it again [ be careful that BlueDUN service is running before creating the new association ]

      Delete
  28. Hey buddies, such a marvelous blog you have made I’m surprised to read such informative stuff.phone that smokes

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have internet but can not access MB app.The message in the screen( http connection timeout. refresh page ?)

    ReplyDelete